Sac City's first library began when the Sac City Library Association was organized in July of 1891. This early attempt was a "Subscription Library" with membership of $1.00 and was housed in private homes. In 1881, the collection was moved to the Sac Sun office, then to Dr. Woodridge's office and finally to the Barkel Drug Store. The store managers acted as librarians while the collection was in their keeping. By 1884, Harper and Brothers offered the use of a circulating collection of 200 volumes. In 1903, Asa Platt offered $5,000 and a lot if the community would raise another $5,000 for a permanent library. City Hall became the library. A librarian was hired and was paid $5.00 a month. In 1909, Mr. Andrew Carnegie gave $8,000 for a new library building provided the city would find a lot to build on and promise continuing support for new books and building operation and maintenance. The Carnegie Library was dedicated in February 1913. Miss Nan Denman was hired as librarian and remained until 1938.
In 1984 the Carnegie Library Building was considered "inaccessible to all citizens". In 1985, the Library Board dedicated themselves to providing an accessible library for the community. The library staff and board won a LSCA Title II federal grant matched by the City. Then the Citizens of the community generously contributed the rest of the money needed and the new library was constructed at 1001 West Main.
Interested in more local history? Check out the Iowa Historical Society!